Director of Youth and Family
Director of Youth and Family
We are looking for a community-minded, friendly, creative, engaged, faithful Lutheran leader to help us form community as God’s people and reach out to the world following Jesus’ example and command. Could it be you?
This position has two components – education and community-building.
Christian communities (including our own) have been experimenting with different ways of doing these essential tasks. We are looking for a leader who will take the time to learn our context, partner with us in finding new methods, and leading us into new endeavors.
A bit more about us - Redeemer is a healthy, midsized congregation 95 years strong with a dynamic pastor, engaged volunteer leadership, and a generous budget with annual surpluses. With a vibrant music program, a deep commitment to service, and a thriving confirmation program, we hope to grow in depth of faith and reach our neighbors more effectively.
Redeemer is located just off the quaint downtown village of Hinsdale. Hinsdale has some of the top rated schools in the state as well as easy access to Chicago via Metra and freeways. Community services are ample with a thriving library, recreation center, and summer music festival series. Hinsdale residents tend to be professionals with advanced degrees. Redeemer, however, draws from the wider Western Suburbs and has a diverse membership economically.
Our Senior Pastor, Katie Hines-Shah, has been called to Redeemer for five years. Our staff includes a full time Music Director and Office Manager as well as other part time staff. A Christian Education Team is already in place.
Redeemer is a lively and creative congregation with energy, expertise, and hope. We are looking for a leader to partner with us in seeking the Spirit’s vision for our future and living more fully into it.
Job Summary: The Director of Youth and Family will lead our congregation through all stages of the faith journey and provide opportunities to deepen spiritual experience through education and community.
Christian Education:Develop and coordinate education opportunities for all ages. This may include traditional models like Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, etc. Flexibility and creativity will be required to imagine new ways of reaching busy families.
- Lead and/or administer education programs for children (Sunday School)
- Lead and/or administer summer enrichment programs (VBS)
- Lead and/or administer adult learning opportunities (Adult Forum)
- Lead, administer, and teach Confirmation.
- Teach and administer milestone programs including Early Communion and Baptism Preparation Classes
Community Building: Develop and coordinate programs, and special events that gather the congregation together and help us more effectively reach out to our neighbors. These are opportunities for long-time members and newcomers to grow together and create a new vision of our church.
- Lead and/or administer quarterly fellowship gatherings
- Re-imagine and lead high school youth program
- Re-engage and administer small group program
- Identify opportunities for outreach and evangelism and equip the congregation to take advantage of them
- Administer nursery program
- Recruit, equip and support volunteer leaders, teachers and guides for above programs endeavors
- Maintain files and records for above programs
- Develop and administer budgets for all programs
- Coordinate activities among all congregational groups
- Work as a member of a staff
- Use a variety of media to communicate and publicize programs
- Take on new projects and tasks as assigned by the Senior Pastor
Ideal Candidate will demonstrate innovation and creativity in the following:
- Ability to recruit, equip and support volunteers
- Ability to minister to youth and family needs
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Ability to build a sense of community
- Coordinating Christian Education for Pre-K through Adult
- Skill in planning and leading programs in conjunction with volunteers
- Strong commitment to and understanding of Lutheran theology
- We are open to a wide variety of candidates, who could be from a lay background, ELCA Word and Service Roster (Deacon or Deaconess) or ELCA Ordained Minister.
- Relevant work experience
- Strong computer technology skills and proficiency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and web based skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to pass a background check
- Bachelor's Degree or higher from an accredited institution
Accountability and Supervision:
The Director of Youth and Family will be accountable to the congregation and its mission under the supervision and direction of the Senior Pastor.
While performing the duties of this job, the Director of Youth and Family must be able to transport materials and equipment (up to 30 pounds) to and from various locations. Youth and Family is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, use hands in repetitive motion tasks, handle objects, talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The Youth and Family must be able to operate a motor vehicle to conduct business related to the job and to safely transport youth and parishioners to church sponsored activities.
The Director of Youth and Family will work in an individual office with a door. The offices are situated next to one another. The noise level is usually quiet. The space is wheelchair accessible. The Director of Youth and Family will also work at off-site locations for various ministry events, such as camps, mission trips, and supervising and directing those events.
The Director of Youth and Family is required to be physically present in the office in order to complete office tasks, be available to work outside of regular business hours as required. The Director of Youth and Family must be able to work cooperatively with other members of the staff and with volunteers. The Director of Youth and Family must be able to multitask.
Salary and benefits will be offered commensurate with experience. Relocation assistance may be available.
Preferred Start Date:
July 1st 2017