Job summary: The Office Manager will be generally responsible for the coordination and operation of all office functions of the church and working with church members and staff.
We are looking for an organized, creative, welcoming and resourceful person to help us live out our mission: United in Christ, we share God’s love in an ever-changing world. Could it be you?
This is a full-time position with a $42,000 annual salary plus benefits (Health, Retirement Plan (403b), and PTO). We can accommodate some flexibility in schedule. Preferred start date May 1, 2023.
Primary Areas of Focus
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Administration – Primary point of contact for all visitors and phone calls, maintain effective and efficient databases, recordkeeping, maintaining membership information, and attendance. Submit Council Reports and organize and publish Annual Congregational Report.
- Communication and Publications – Maintain and update the church website, including activity calendars, events and publicity materials. Create and coordinate email blasts. Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint.)
- Facility Management – Coordinate and schedule building use for church activities, coordination and supervision of building and ground maintenance and repair, manage space rentals, work closely with property committee to identify needed future repairs including solicitation of contractor bids. Maintain database of property records and projects.
- Financial – Support preparation and administration of the annual administration budget; approve invoices and check requests; maintain lists of signers for financial institutions; support the work of the Finance Committee.
- Personnel Management – directly supervising custodian and volunteers, coordinate financial matters (payroll, 1099 issuance, background checks). Help coordinate weekly schedules of Pastor and other church staff.
- Bachelor’s or Associate Degree preferred
- Relevant work experience preferred
- Superior organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Skill in office procedures, use of technology
- Excellent communication skills, tact, and empathy
- Ability to operate with highly confidential information
- Ability to uphold the teaching and practices of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in American and a Reconciling in Christ congregation.
Accountability and Supervision:
The Office Manager will be accountable to the congregation and its mission under the supervision and direction of the Senior Pastor for all duties as outlined above as well as other duties assigned during the duration of the employment.
While performing the duties of this job, the Office Manager must be able to transport materials and equipment (up to 30 pounds) to and from various locations. The Office Manager is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, use hands in repetitive motion tasks, handle objects, talk, and hear. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The Office Manager will work in an individual office with a door, and the space is wheelchair accessible.
The Office Manger is required to be physically present in the office in order to complete office tasks and be available to work outside of regular business hours as required. The Office Manager will work in an office with a desk that is attached to the Office of the Senior Pastor; it is frequently visited by other members and staff. The Office Manager must be able to work cooperatively with other members of the staff and volunteers.
Submit cover letter, resume, and two references to:
ATTN: Office Manager Search Committee
Redeemer Lutheran Church
139 E. 1st St, Hinsdale, IL 60521
Please email any questions to OfficeSearch@redeemerhinsdale.org
A bit about us
Redeemer is a healthy, mid-sized congregation, and we have recently celebrated our 100th anniversary in ministry. Our community is blessed with a dynamic pastor, engaged volunteer leadership, and a generous budget with annual surpluses. Our Senior Pastor, Reverend Katie Hines-Shah, has been called to Redeemer for eleven years. Our staff includes a full-time music director and office administrator, as well as other part-time staff and pastoral interns. With a deep commitment to music, Christian education and service, we hope to grow in depth of faith and to reach our neighbors more effectively.
Redeemer is located near the village of Hinsdale’s quaint downtown. Hinsdale has some of the top-rated schools in the state as well as easy access to Chicago via Metra and freeways. Community services are ample with a thriving library, recreation center, and summer music festival series. Hinsdale residents tend to be professionals with advanced degrees. Redeemer also draws from the wider western suburbs and has an economically diverse membership.
Redeemer is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (www.ELCA.org) and a Reconciling in Christ (RIC) congregation (www.redeemerhinsdale.org/we-welcome-you). We seek to celebrate diversity and welcome all to fully participate in our community.